Youth Volunteer Corps (YVC)
Youth Volunteer Corps of Des Moines is an affiliate of the international Youth Volunteer Corps. Youth Volunteer Corps (YVC) began in 1987 as a summer service program for Kansas City youth. Today, YVC is a network of more than 44 affiliated organizations across the U.S. and Canada running that same program by engaging youth ages 11-18 in team-based, structured, diverse, flexible service-learning opportunities. YVC’s mission is to create volunteer opportunities to address community needs and to inspire youth for a lifetime commitment to service.
For more information, contact Darriana Donegan at email@example.com. And don’t forget to “Like” the YVC-Des Moines Facebook page!
To check out the YVC Des Moines website, click here.
Join us for our 2017 YVC Summer of Service Camp! This year we are offering four weeks of camp and each camp has service projects and activities planned around the week’s theme:
- June 12-15: STEM and Education
- June 26-29: Healthy Lifestyles
- July 10-13: Compassionate Communities
- July 24-27: Arts and Culture
Camp runs each day from 9:00-3:00pm. There is a $50 fee per week of camp, and scholarships are available. Click here to sign up for one or more weeks of YVC camp.
YVC sets forth four fundamental goals:
- To engage youth in service projects that are challenging, rewarding, and educational.
- To serve the unmet needs of the community and its residents.
- To promote among youth a greater understanding and appreciation for the diversity of their community.
- To promote a lifetime ethic of service among youth.
Meetings begin with a fun game or ice breaker and a snack. Then we do one of the following:
- Dream It/Do It if we are ready to start a new service project.
- Continue to plan our chosen project by using the computers to research, getting supplies together, or hosting a speaker from a community organization related to our interests.
- Reflect and celebrate with one another after a project has been completed.