Youth Volunteer Corps (YVC)
Youth Volunteer Corps of Des Moines is an affiliate of the international Youth Volunteer Corps. Youth Volunteer Corps (YVC) began in 1987 as a summer service program for Kansas City youth. Today, YVC is a network of more than 44 affiliated organizations across the U.S. and Canada running that same program by engaging youth ages 11-18 in team-based, structured, diverse, flexible service-learning opportunities. YVC’s mission is to create volunteer opportunities to address community needs and to inspire youth for a lifetime commitment to service.
For more information, contact Darriana Donegan at firstname.lastname@example.org. And don’t forget to “Like” the YVC-Des Moines Facebook page!
To check out the YVC Des Moines website, click here.
To sign up for YVC summer programming, click here. Each weeklong program is $50.
YVC sets forth four fundamental goals:
- To engage youth in service projects that are challenging, rewarding, and educational.
- To serve the unmet needs of the community and its residents.
- To promote among youth a greater understanding and appreciation for the diversity of their community.
- To promote a lifetime ethic of service among youth.
Meetings begin with a fun game or ice breaker and a snack. Then we do one of the following:
- Dream It/Do It if we are ready to start a new service project.
- Continue to plan our chosen project by using the computers to research, getting supplies together, or hosting a speaker from a community organization related to our interests.
- Reflect and celebrate with one another after a project has been completed.