Junior Police Explorers Program (JPEP)
CYC partners with the Des Moines Police Department (DMPD) to expose middle school students to different careers within law enforcement: JPEP. While exploring careers, students also have the opportunity to learn about community needs and take on leadership roles as they help resolve social issues through service learning.
Junior Police Explorers strives to:
- help bridge the gap between youth and law enforcement.
- allow students to give back to their community by completing a variety of different service projects.
- encourage students to explore careers within law enforcement.
Meetings are held once per month for two hours. The Des Moines Police Department leads the first hour of programming in which guest speakers present a topic of the month, such as the Tactical Unit, K-9 Unit, Bomb Unit, or Investigations Unit (CSI).
The second hour of programming is devoted to resolving community needs through service learning. Some examples of projects include:
- Creating healthy trail mix and awareness posters for how to stay active during the winter
- Making dog treats/toys and cards for staff at animal shelters
- Creating a phone book with nonemergency phone numbers
- Writing thank you cards for all units that presented to students throughout the year